The produce section worker at Sainsbury’s on Team Valley, in Gateshead, was lifting a box of the fruit when the exotic predator scuttled out and stung him in the stomach.
Shocked co-workers quickly pounced on the creature before it could escape and the injured man, who is in his 40s, was taken to Gateshead’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
The scorpion, which was nicknamed “Colin” by Accident and Emergency staff, was taken away by the RSPCA and a vet put it to sleep.
RSPCA animal collection officer Dave Dawson explained: “The scorpion had to be put down, as it is a non-indigenous species.” Scorpions are found across the southern hemisphere including parts of the USA, Africa and Asia.
Sainsbury’s said they were working to find out where the insect had come from.
“The RSPCA has confirmed that the scorpion is not poisonous and the sting is no worse than that of a wasp or bee,” a spokesperson said.http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2009/10/02/shop-worker-stung-by-scorpion-in-bananas-72703-24836696/