Tuesday, 6 April 2010
RSPCA FIREARMS HOLDERS IN CHESHIRE FOI REQUEST
1. How many RSPCA inspectors hold firearms licences?
2. Are there any other RSPCA employees in your area other than
inspectors that hold firearms licences?
3. Can you name these individuals that hold licences? If you are
unwilling to provide the data, then would you say in what capacity the
people who work for this private charity who you enumerate have a
4. What "ranks" within the RSPCA do these people possess and how long
has each person worked for the charity? When was each of the people
granted their licence to carry such weapons?
5. What type and calibre of firearms are carried by each RSPCA employee?
6. Which RSPCA employees carry captive bolt guns and how many of them
7. What reasons were given by the RSPCA employees for requiring the
8. Where do RSPCA employees indicate that they will use the firearms?
9. If you state that the "Inspectors possess the firearms referred to
for the humane despatch of animals" - do you mean in all circumstances
where an animal might require euthanasia, or only where the opinion
and expertise of a veterinary surgeon in "despatching" an animal
cannot be obtained?
10. Do they have an 'open certificate'
Response 11th January 2010
In accordance with section 1(1) (b) of the Act our response is provided below;
Question 1: 7 RSPCA employees
Question 2: All such officers are recorded as per the NFLMS prescribed list and are RSPCA employees
Question 3: This information is exempt information in accordance with Section 40 (2) of the Act, Personal data. The disclosure of this information would breach Principles 1 & 2 of the data Protection Act 1998 and as such would be unlawful.
Question 4: This information is not held.
Question 5: 2 x .32 singles shot pistols and 5 x .32 slaughtering instruments.
Question 6: This information is not held. Captive bolts are no longer required to be on an FAC
Question 7: This information is not held. There is no requirement for them to state where they will use them as its in line with their duties as an RSPCA employee
Question 8: N/A
Question 9: The firearms are permitted for us wherever there is a requirement in line with the holders duties.
Question 10: There is no closed or open certificate in relation to these certificates and the conditions placed on them are on accordance with national systems.